Lentil Soup Recipe
Lentils are healthful, versatile, and cheap. I like those qualities in a food. Lentils are a great source of protein without carbohydrates, which is great for diabetics.
I use this because it is simple, fast, and the leftovers will keep for a while in the fridge. I use frozen vegetables to keep the sodium down and because they are cheap and available in a wide variety. The mushrooms are not frozen; they do not freeze well.
Except for the last ten minutes, cook covered. Uncover for step 6.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil
- Add half a cup of rinsed Lentils and half a cup of chopped mushrooms and return to boil for five minutes
- Add one quarter cup of frozen diced green peppers and half a cup of frozen Peas and Carrots blend. Return to boil.
- Reduce heat to just below a boil and let cook for ten minutes.
- Add one quarter cup (approximate) of your favorite greens, or whatever is handy. I also will add half a teaspoon of Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy blend.
- Cook for another ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve. I usually pour it over a bowl of crushed crackers or corn chips and then add shredded sharp cheddar.
Refrigerate leftovers and microwave to reheat.